Asiana has the best award chart in the Star Alliance. That means that you can book any of the 27 Star Alliance airlines, including United, for fewer miles on many routes with Asiana miles than with better known programs like United, Lufthansa, LifeMiles, Singapore, and Air Canada.
Asiana is a 1:1 transfer partner of Starwood Preferred Guest Starpoints. As usual with Starpoints transfers, you get 5,000 bonus Asiana miles for every 20,000 Starpoints transferred.
If you can get your hands on Asiana miles, you can book insanely cheap awards like:
- Lufthansa First Class between the United States and Europe for 50,000 Asiana miles one way vs. 110,000 United miles
- United First Class between the continental United States and Hawaii for 27,500 Asiana miles one way vs. 40,000 United miles
- United Global First between the United States and Southern South America for 45,000 Asiana miles one way vs. 70,000 United miles
Unfortunately some Asiana awards have fuel surcharges, and it took 17 days for my transfer of Starpoints to reach Asiana miles. Continue reading for:
- Comparison tables of United award chart versus Asiana award chart
- Fuel surcharge info on Asiana awards