From now through September 19, 2016 you can earn 2,500 SPG points for adding an authorized user to your Starwood Preferred Guest®Credit Card from American Express. The promotion was originally sent out as a targeted email, but you can also access it from this link.
I value SPG points more highly than any other transferrable points currency (around 2.5 cents each) because they transfer to over 30 airline loyalty programs.
This bonus could be especially useful if you have a balance of Starpoints that is almost but not quite 20,000, since when you transfer Starpoints in increments of 20,000 to an airline loyalty program you receive a 5,000 mile bonus.
How to Get the 2,500 SPG Point Bonus
1. Click this link.
2. Log in if you’re not already logged into your American Express online account.
3. Add authorized user.
How would the authorized user be affected?
One of the first things you’ll probably notice is that American Express asks for the social security number of the user you are authorizing to spend on your card. Adding a person as an authorized user does not trigger a hard credit pull for them, but does apparently does count against the Chase 5/24 according to this Flyertalk thread about Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015-Present (it’s in the Wiki at the top).
What if I have the SPG Business card but not the personal?
Commenters on Reddit have confirmed that the authorized user bonus is not available for Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card cardholders.
Terms & Conditions
- The offer for 2,500 Starpoints expires on September 19, 2016. Card Members are limited to one-time receipt of 2,500 Starpoints through this email offer. Bonus points will appear on your Starwood Preferred Guest statement 8-12 weeks after you add an additional Card.
- You must notify Additional Card Members that we may obtain, provide, and use information about them and that their use of your Account is subject to certain provisions of the Card Member Agreement. The maximum number of Additional Cards issued on each Account is 99.
- Additional Card Members must be at least 15 years of age and never have had a defaulted account with American Express.
- Additional Card Members do not have accounts with us but they can use your Account subject to the terms of the Card Member Agreement. You are responsible for all use of your Account by Additional Card Members and anyone they allow to use your Account. You must pay for all charges they make. You authorize us to give Additional Card Members information about your Account and to discuss it with them.
- Eligible Purchases means purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. Starpoints received from your Card will be posted to your SPG account up to 12 weeks after the end of each month. To be eligible to receive Starpoints, Card Member’s account must not be cancelled or in default at the time of bonus fulfillment.
- Merchants are assigned codes based on what they primarily sell. A purchase will not earn additional points if the merchant’s code is not eligible. Purchases made through a third-party payment account or on an online marketplace (with multiple retailers) will not earn additional points. A purchase may not earn additional points if the merchant submits the purchase using a mobile or wireless card reader or if you use a mobile or digital wallet.
Don’t Forget the SPG Card Referral Bonus
Here is my friend’s referral link if you want to benefit a fellow mile lover and get the card. I already have my 55,000 points for the year.
SPG is running a targeted email promotion giving cardholders the opportunity to earn 2,500 bonus Starpoints for adding an authorized user through September 19, 2016. Luckily there is a link that currently works whether or not you received the targeted email.------------------------------------------------------------
Editorial Disclaimer: The editorial content is not provided or commissioned by the credit card issuers. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of the credit card issuers, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuers.
Earn 60,000 bonus American Airlines miles after spending $5,000 in the first three months on the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ MasterCard®. Plus get American Airlines lounge access for you and guests. My full review of the card.