The Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® MasterCard® is currently offering 50,000 bonus miles and two Admirals Club day passes after spending $3,000 on the card in the first 3 months of account opening. This is enough miles for two roundtrips within the mainland United States, Canada, and Alaska or one roundtrip to Europe, South America, or Asia.
I ranked the card #2 on my top ten list of the best cards for free travel this month because of
- the massive sign up bonus
- American Airlines’ cheap award chart
- the fact that cardholders get a 10% rebate on the miles used to book American Airlines award tickets
- the $95 annual fee being waived the first 12 months
Beyond the benefits when award booking, the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® MasterCard® also makes traveling American Airlines less stressful.
- Cardholders are entitled to a free checked bag for themselves and up to four companions on the same ticket. That’s up to a $250 value per roundtrip.
- Cardholders get Group 1 boarding, so they’ll never have to gate check bags after the overhead bin space fills up.
- Cardholders get a 25% discount on purchases onboard (I recommend the pastrami sandwich!)
- Cardholders get two Admirals Club passes on completion of the minimum spending requirement. That means free wifi, alcohol, snacks, and access to better agents in case of delayed and cancelled flights.
The American Airlines card is one of the best airline cards, but it is not right for everyone.
- What types of people should get the American Airlines credit card and what types shouldn’t?
- What are the best uses of American Airlines miles?
- What about the American Airlines/US Airways merger?