Through March 10, 2016, American Express is offering a 50% transfer bonus from Membership Rewards to Virgin America Elevate Points.
How Membership Rewards Work
As a quick refresher, there are two ways to use Membership Rewards:
- The dumb way: use them like cash to purchase flights, car rentals, hotels, or cruises at a paltry rate of 1 cent per point
- The smart way: transfer them to one of the 16 airline partners or three hotel partners. Then your points are whatever miles you chose, subject to that award chart and those rules.
16 Airline and 3 Hotel Partners
Best Uses of Virgin America Elevate Points
Virgin America points are worth about 2 cents each toward Virgin America flights. They are usually worth more than that when redeemed on award charts for Hawaiian Airlines, Virgin Atlantic, and Virgin Australia flights. The only one of those partners on which Virgin America collects fuel surcharges is Virgin Atlantic.
- 20k Virgin America points (26.8k Membership Rewards) is a roundtrip between the western United States and Hawaii on Hawaiian Airlines
- 3k Virgin America points (4k Membership Rewards) is a one way interisland flight on Hawaiian Airlines
- There are tons of other great deals on Hawaiian Airlines flights to Asia and Australia. Prices one way/roundtip (on Hawaiian Airlines flights with Virgin American points):
- 35k Virgin America points (46.8k Membership Rewards) + $1,100 is a roundtrip from New York, Newark, Boston, Washington DC, or Chicago to London in Virgin Atlantic Upper Class
- There are other great deals on Virgin Atlantic Upper Class flights from Miami, Dallas, Los Angeles, Seattle, San Francisco, San Diego, and Vancouver
- 80k Virgin America points (106.8k Membership Rewards) + $130 is a roundtrip from Los Angeles to Australia in Virgin Australia Business Class
Through March 10, American Express Membership Rewards enjoy a 50% transfer bonus to Virgin America Elevate Points, bringing the transfer rate to 200 MR -> 150 Virgin America points.
This unlocks some incredible deals on partner airlines like Hawaiian, Virgin Atlantic, and Virgin Australia.
Editorial Disclaimer: The editorial content is not provided or commissioned by the credit card issuers. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of the credit card issuers, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuers.
Earn 50,000 bonus points (worth $800 in American Airlines flights) after spending $3,000 in the first three months on the Citi Prestige® Card. Plus get a $250 Air Travel Credit each calendar year, free airport lounge access worldwide, and your fourth night free on hotel stays. Why I got the card.