I earn a commission for some links on this blog. Citi is a MileValue partner.
United is offering a 25% discount on roundtrip economy awards to Brazil and Chile this Spring (their Fall.) For 45,000 United miles, you can fly roundtrip to Santiago, Rio de Janeiro, or Sao Paulo.
- Book by 11:59 p.m. on April 26, 2015.
- Travel by June 25, 2015.
- You must fly only United and United Express flights–no partners.
- Discounted Saver Award is only valid for travel between the U.S. or Canada (excluding Hawaii) and Brazil or Chile.
- Discounted Saver Award is only valid if you book roundtrip travel in Economy cabin. One-way travel is still priced as a regular, non-discounted Saver Award.
- For this offer, a roundtrip is defined as travel from an origin city to a destination city with return travel ending at the first origin city, and with all segments on flights operated by United Airlines. A segment is defined as one takeoff and one landing. Open jaw itineraries within the same region do qualify for the discount. Stopovers do not qualify for this offer.
- The discounted Saver Award is combinable with other award types as long as the itinerary is roundtrip (e.g., a member can book a Standard Award for the outbound portion of an itinerary and a Saver Award for the return portion, or vice versa) but only the flight segments purchased with a Saver Award will be eligible for a 25% discount.
- A booking service charge may apply for travel booked less than 21 days before departure.
Examples, Award Space, What’s Possible
In Brazil and Chile, United flies from:
- Houston to Santiago, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo
- Washington-Dulles to Sao Paulo
- Newark to Sao Paulo
- Chicago to Sao Paulo
Award space is excellent on these routes over the sale period. In the calendars below, all green and yellow dates have Saver award space for one person for 45,000 miles roundtrip. Houston to Santiago has award space almost every day in April and May.
The return from Santiago to Houston also has award space almost every day.
Rio de Janeiro
Award space on the return from Sao Paulo to Washington is a little better in May.
American Airlines Off Peak
While these United awards for 45,000 miles–a 25% discount sound great–American Airlines has a cheaper award to Brazil and Chile that is a lot more flexible.
Every March 1 – May 31 and August 16 – November 30, you can fly American Airlines or any of its partners like LAN and TAM to Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Paraguay, Bolivia, or Uruguay for only 20,000 American Airlines miles each way–a 33% discount.
That’s broader dates, the ability to fly partners, more countries, and a cheaper price. The American Airlines off peak awards and award chart in general is better than United’s.
Right now the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® MasterCard® comes with 50,000 bonus miles after spending $3,000 in the first three months. The card also comes with other awesome benefits like a 10% rebate on miles used for award bookings.
The business version, the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World MasterCard®, also comes with 50,000 bonus miles after spending $3,000 in the first three months. This card comes with 2x miles on select business purchases and a 5% miles bonus on renewal. One person can have both cards.
Are you going to book a discounted United award to Brazil or Chile?