There is a targeted offer available through creditcards.com’s CardMatch Tool for 100,000 Membership Rewards for spending $5,000 on your new Platinum within three months of opening it. The current public offer is 60,000 Membership Rewards for spending $5,000 in three months, so this targeted offer is significantly better. I value Membership Rewards at 2 cents each, making it worth a whopping $800 more.
You can only get the bonus on an American Express card once per lifetime. However if you were targeted for an American Express offer, you can still be approved even if you have had the card before.
How to Check if You’re Targeted
- Click the box below to navigate to the CardMatch tool.
2. Fill in the information requested on the landing page, and click GET MATCHES at the bottom of the form.
Don’t worry, the site specifically states that a hard credit score will not be performed (so your credit score will not be affected).
3. See what cards pop up. Hopefully you see this…
I was not targeted but my friend was–who I got these screenshots from. His 100k offer showed up right away on the landing page after clicking GET MATCHES, but View from the Wing reported needing to click CARDMATCH SPECIAL OFFERS in the toolbar on the left side of the landing page in order to reveal the 100k Platinum offer.
Current Public Offer
The Platinum Card from American Express comes with 60,000 Membership Rewards after spending $5,000 in the first three months. Membership Rewards transfer to around 20 hotel and airline programs including Delta, Singapore, and British Airways.
The card has a $550 annual fee. But it comes with huge benefits like airline fee reimbursement (which you can also use to buy airline gift cards), airport lounge access, hotel status, $200 in Uber credit, and a 5x category bonus for purchases directly from airlines. For more info on setting up and maximizing the benefits, see Get the Most Out of Your Platinum Card.
The targeted 100k offer comes with the same benefits package.
A $550 annual fee sounds scary, but it shouldn’t phase you once you break it down. You’ll get $200 in airline incidental fee credit (or if you don’t spend on incidentals, buy an airline gift card), another $200 in airline incidental fees/gift cards in 2018, and access to American Express Centurion Lounges, which are the nicest domestic lounges, Priority Pass lounges, as well as International American Express lounges and Airspace lounges for a year for that price. Plus the 100,000 bonus Membership Rewards should be worth roughly $2,000 if you transfer them to partners for one or several high value awards.
As I said above, you can only get the bonus on an American Express card once per lifetime. However targeted offers are the one loophole to the Amex “Once in a Lifetime Rule”. That doesn’t mean you are guaranteed approval if you see the this targeted offer through Cardmatch, it just means you still have a chance (a much higher one than if you applied for it publicly). YMMV.
There are a few other things to remember when considering your eligibility for Amex cards.
- You can be approved for no more than one Amex card in a five day period. If you want two Amex cards, get them on days 1 and 6.
- You can be approved for no more than two Amex cards in a 90 day period. If you want more than two Amex cards, apply for them on days 1, 6, and 91.
- You are limited to holding four to five American Express credit cards. Both personal and business count toward this limit. (AMEX Everyday, Delta, and SPG are credit cards.)
- Separately, you are limited to holding four to five American Express charge cards. Both personal and business count toward this limit. (AMEX Platinum is a charge card.)
- If you’re on the verge and contemplating a fifth credit or charge card, read this post–you can apply basically risk-free.
Check to see if you’re targeted for a 100,000 Membership Rewards bonus for the American Express Platinum card by clicking the CardMatch box below and filling in the form (no hard credit pull performed). Even if you’ve already had the card, it’s possible to get approved for another if you’re targeted.
Post your application results in the comments.
Hat tip View from the Wing