The offer on the card listed in this post has expired so the links have been removed. Click here for the top current credit card sign up bonuses.
Last week I wrote about The Incredible Frontier Airlines Award Chart. The takeaway is that Frontier is not for everyone because it doesn’t have first class, and it only only flies throughout the US, Central America, and the Caribbean.
But if Frontier is for you, it’s really for you. That’s because Frontier has:
- a cheap award chart
- a great route network to Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, and hard-to-reach parts of the US
- oodles of award space
- no fuel surcharges
In that post, I said that the best way to get Frontier miles is to get The Frontier Airlines World MasterCard. The Frontier Airlines World MasterCard offers a 40,000 mile bonus after $050 in purchases in the first 90 days.
One of the card’s benefits I discussed was a 5,000 mile discount on companion awards. I did my best to speculate on the contours of the benefit, but I couldn’t do further research because I won’t have the card until my next app-o-rama. Thankfully in the meantime, reader Andrew has done some research that he passed along. He tells me:
The benefit is available
- to cardholders
- purchasing a paid ticket
- flying with one companion.
The paid ticket can be on any route including oneways. That means if you purchase a paid oneway ticket on Frontier, your companion’s award seat is discounted 5,000 miles.
Since a oneway award ticket within the US costs only 10,000 Frontier miles, cardholders can get a companion on a oneway ticket for 5,000 miles.
That means if you get the Frontier credit card and book all your roundtrip Frontier flights as two oneways, your companion can come with you for only 10k miles and $5 in taxes. Here are the steps:
- Get the The Frontier Airlines World MasterCard, spending $500 in the first three months to unlock the full 40,000 mile bonus.
- Plan your oneway, roundtrip, or open jaw trip on a route Frontier flies.
- Search for award space on flyfrontier.com along your route. You need to find one seat for your companion. I explained how to search for Frontier award space in The Incredible Frontier Airlines Award Chart.
- Purchase a oneway ticket for one passenger from flyfrontier.com on an itinerary on which you found award space. You want to purchase from Frontier itself because purchasing through other travel agents means you will only earn 50% of the mileage you fly. Purchasing from Frontier means you will get 100%.
- Call Frontier at 800-432-1359. There is no phone fee for their helping you book the companion ticket.
- If you want a roundtrip or open jaw, repeat steps 4 and 5 for the second oneway.
Andrew reported booking Minneapolis to Anchorage for a companion for 10,000 miles roundtrip (by breaking it into two oneways as described above.) He took advantage of the fact that all awards are discounted 5,000 miles, and that that works out to the biggest discount–percentage-wise–on domestic awards.
Frontier cardholders can book companion awards to their paid tickets with a 5,000 mile discount. The discount applies to oneway, roundtrip, and open jaw awards meaning with a little creativity and a few calls to 800-432-1359, you can book a roundtrip award for 10,000 miles on Frontier’s domestic network.
Application Link: The Frontier Airlines World MasterCard.