Right now you can get 20% off your purchase of a product (or products) sold and shipped by Amazon, up to a $100 discount, when you apply at least one Membership Reward point to payment.
This is especially pertinent as Amazon Prime Day just kicked off: 36 hours of massive sales for Amazon Prime members. Prime Day started at 12 pm PT today. Don’t have a Prime membership but want to take advantage of the sales? Sign up for a free trial. Students with a .edu email address can get a six month free Amazon Prime trial.
How to Get an Additional 20% Off Your Amazon Order
- Login to your Amazon Prime account.
2. Add a Membership Rewards earning card as a payment option on your Amazon account if you haven’t already.
3. Navigate here and click the “Click to activate” button to apply the offer to your Amazon account.
4. Now you can shop. The 20% discount will only apply on products actually sold and shipped by Amazon. You can check this in the product description where it should say “Ships from and sold by Amazon”, as highlighted in the screenshot below.
5. Once you find your product, check out and change your payment method. CNET has a comprehensive lineup of good Prime Day deals.
6. Choose to pay with a card that earns Membership Rewards, and then scroll down to the Rewards Points section. You’ll be able to apply Membership Rewards from the account that you selected to pay with. Amazon will try to automatically apply all the Membership Rewards you have earned with that card to the purchase, but you can manually change to as low as 1 cent (1 point) applied and the discount will still trigger.
The discount can be applied to multiple purchases before maxing out.
This 20% discount for paying with Membership Rewards does not necessarily end when Prime Day ends. The terms don’t list an end date.
Redeeming for Gift Cards
While I don’t think you will get the discount for buying Amazon gift cards, you will for buying a third party retailer’s gift card like Airbnb, Southwest, Uber, hotels.com, etc.
So if there’s nothing you need from Amazon today but you want to cash in on this awesome deal, buy a gift card you know you will use in the future.
Amazon is overloaded, keep trying!
There is a ton of traffic on Amazon right now due to Prime Day. I experienced a lot of errors on the site in the last hour.
Be patient and keep trying…it will eventually work. Amazon wants your money so I’m sure they’re working around the clock during Prime day to keep amazon.com online.
There are thousands of great sales for those with Amazon Prime Memberships that will last through tomorrow night at midnight PT. You can also get a free trial membership if you don’t have one but want to cash in on Prime Day.
If you also have a Membership Rewards earning card, chose to pay for your purchase with it and apply one Membership Rewards point (for 1 cent of value) towards the purchase. That will trigger a 20% discount up to $100 off. Just make sure you apply the offer to your account before checking out.
Membership Rewards 20% Discount Terms & Conditions
- Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel this offer at any time.
- Offer only applies to products sold by Amazon.com (Look for “sold by Amazon.com” or “sold by Amazon Digital Services LLC” on the product detail page). Products sold by third-party sellers or other Amazon entities will not qualify for this offer, even if “fulfilled by Amazon.com” or “Prime Eligible”.
- Offer does not apply to digital content.
- Shipping charges and taxes may apply to the full value of discounted promotional items.
- Offer may not be combined with other offers.
- The maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is $100.
- Offer applies only to the purchase of items made with a Membership Rewards eligible American Express Card, where Membership Rewards points are used for at least a portion of the purchase and the promotion code is activated.
- Offer is non-transferable and may not be resold.
- Offer discount will be allocated proportionally among all promotional items in your order.
- This promotion starts at 12:00 am PST on July 2nd, 2018 and ends when Amazon elects to end the promotion.
- If any of the products or content related to this offer are returned, your refund will equal the amount you paid for the product or content, subject to applicable refund policies.
- Promotional discount may not be redeemed for Amazon.com Gift Cards.
- If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid