- Earn 20,000 award miles after your first purchases or balance transfer
- Earn an additional 30,000 award miles when you spend $5,000 in purchases within the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn 2 award miles per $1 on ticket purchases directly from Miles & More integrated airline partners and 1 mile per $1 on all other purchases
- Cardholders receive a companion ticket after first use of the account and annually after each account anniversary
- No Foreign transaction fees on purchases made outside the U.S.
- Redeem miles for flight awards and upgrades on Lufthansa, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, SWISS, Star Alliance member airlines and on other partners
- $79 Annual Fee. Please see Terms and Conditions for complete details
Application Link: The Lufthansa Premier Miles & More World MasterCard
One of the best and most easily accessible First Class awards for an American is Lufthansa First Class with United miles.
If you’re going to fly Lufthansa First Class, you might as well fly the newest Lufthansa planes, right?
Check out Tahsir’s trip report of Lufthansa First Class, which is enough to make me jealous, though note that neither the A380 nor the 747-8 have the seat-plus-bed design.
Lufthansa releases a lot of business class space to Europe all the time, so people with United and US Airways miles often have a transatlantic business class option. Unfortunately all Lufthansa business class seats are angled lie flat except the seats on the 747-8, making them the best (and only fully flat) business class beds in the fleet.
Lufthansa First Class space is only bookable with United miles within 15 days of departure. The good news is that Lufthansa is pretty generous about opening up First Class seats as award seats if they go unsold. If you fly Lufthansa First Class out of Frankfurt, you get access to the First Class Terminal and get driven to your plane in a Mercedes.
The A380 and 747-8 are two of the three newest double-decker super jumbo jets (the 787 being the other.) Because they’re the newest, they have the best in flight entertainment set ups, storage space, newest fixtures, advances in pressurization, and fuel usage.
So are you ready to fly Lufthansa business or first class next week on one of these birds? If so, you’ll want to check out the Frankfurt-Miami-Frankfurt and Frankfurt-Houston-Frankfurt routes.
Frankfurt to Miami
Today, there is a first class seat on a Lufthansa 747-8 from Frankfurt to Miami.
In fact, there are premium seats most of this week on the route.
Tomorrow, there is space in flat bed business and first class on the route.
Note that in addition to the 50k United miles for business or 67.5k for first one way, there are also taxes and fees of $198.70 on the redemption if you don’t have United status. People with status will reduce or eliminate the $75 fee for booking within 21 days of departure.
Keep an eye on the aircraft listed for the date you book. Some days are operated by the 747-400 instead of the 747-8. June 18 has a seat in business class on the 747-400, which does not have fully flat beds in business class.
Miami to Frankfurt
If you want to fly to Europe on the route, there is also first class space on a 747-8 today! Note that flights from the US to Germany only have $2.50 in taxes plus the close in booking fee.
Space is not quite as good east bound.
Frankfurt to Houston
Some Frankfurt to Houston flights are operated by a Lufthansa A380, but I didn’t see business or first class seats on the route in the next two weeks.
Houston to Frankfurt
The east bound route has more space with first class seats available tomorrow.
Overall there isn’t much space on the route, but if you keep checking, more A380 First Class space is sure to open in the next few weeks.
Getting on the Flights
To fly Lufthansa First Class, you’ll want to use United miles because United only charges 67,500 miles each way plus taxes and the close in booking fee with no fuel surcharges.
Right now the best cards to earn United miles are the:
- United MileagePlus Explorer Card: The standard offer is for 30,000 bonus miles after spending $1k in three months. If you go to a Chase branch, you are likely to find an offer for 50,000 miles after spending $2k in three months. Many versions of the offer allow you to add an authorized user for 5k more points.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred: 40,000 bonus Ultimate Rewards after spending $3k in three months.
- Chase Ink Bold: 50,000 bonus Ultimate Rewards after spending $5k in three months.
- Chase Ink Plus: 50,000 bonus Ultimate Rewards after spending $5k in three months.
Where You Live
Check the wikipedia pages for Frankfurt Airport and Munich Airport to see where Lufthansa flies in North America. Most of these routes see a lot of premium seats open up in the last few days and weeks before departure. United also opens up good award space for you to connect to the first class flight of your dream!------------------------------------------------------------
Editorial Disclaimer: The editorial content is not provided or commissioned by the credit card issuers. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of the credit card issuers, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuers.
The Chase Sapphire Reserve comes with 100,000 bonus Ultimate Rewards after spending $4,000 in the first three months that you can transfer to United miles, Singapore miles, Southwest points, British Airways miles, or use for 1.5 cents each toward any flight, hotel, or car rentals.
Plus the card offers $300 in credits toward any travel purchase each calendar year, which is $600 in your first 12 months of cardmembership, $100 toward Global Entry, and worldwide lounge access. Basically it's the best credit card ever, even with a $450 annual fee.