US Airways off peak award space to Europe is wide open. For travel between January 15 and February 28, 2015, you can pay as little as 30,000 miles roundtrip to tons of top cities like London, Paris, Madrid, and Dublin.
Reminder of US Airways Off Peak Awards
US Airways has incredible discounts on the miles needed for a roundtrip award to Europe and the Caribbean during off peak dates (January 15 – February 28 for Europe and September for Caribbean).
Off peak awards require finding Saver award space on all legs from your home airport to your destination, and flying all US Airways planes. That is, you cannot fly partners, including American Airlines.
The off peak price is 35,000 miles roundtrip to Europe. Folks with the US Airways® Premier World MasterCard® get an automatic 5,000 mile discount on all US Airways awards that fly only US Airways planes, which is a requirement of off peak awards. That means US Airways® Premier World MasterCard® cardholders pay only 30,000 miles roundtrip to Europe during off peak dates.
Right now the US Airways® Premier World MasterCard® comes with 50,000 bonus miles after first purchase and payment of an $89 annual fee.
- How good is the award space during off peak dates?
- What are the taxes and fees? (lower than you might expect)
Where You Can Fly
If your home airport has US Airways flights, you can fly to Europe for as little as 30,000 miles roundtrip. You will need to connect to Philadelphia or Charlotte for the flights to Europe. Here are the flights to Europe from Philadelphia. (I’ve crossed out the seasonal flights because those aren’t options in January or February.)
You’ve got the major tourist cities like London, Paris, Rome, Amsterdam. You’ve also got some smaller ones like Munich and Manchester.
From Charlotte in the winter, the only US Airways flights are to London and Frankfurt.
Off peak awards from anywhere in the United States to Europe are 35,000 US Airways miles roundtrip or 30,000 miles if you have the US Airways® Premier World MasterCard® like me.
In addition, you have to pay government taxes and the standard $50 US Airways award processing fee.
There are several destinations that cost ~$100 all in including Rome, Madrid, Amsterdam, Brussels, and the cheapest of all, Dublin at 30,000 miles + $96.
The most expensive destination is London because of the UK’s Air Passenger Duty. It costs 30,000 miles + $248.
To search for award space, go to usairways.com and search right in the box at the top of the home page (click to enlarge.)
Select your cities, dates, and number of passengers. Check “Book with miles.”
Your results will automatically display in a color-coded month long calendar. The color-coding is a bit annoying because every level of award space is a shade of blue, but the lightest ones are off peak awards. Off peak award space is wide open.
Basically six days a week in both directions.
Award space the vast majority of days in both directions.
Again, broken record, award space almost every day.
Off peak awards are easy to search and easy to book with US Airways miles. If you don’t mind visiting Europe in winter (and missing the crowds), you can book a roundtrip for 35,000 miles or 30,000 miles if you have the US Airways® Premier World MasterCard®.
To most cities in Europe, off peak award space is available almost every day from Philadelphia from January 15 to February 28. Find award space from your home airport to Philly at the Saver level and book your vacation today.
The US Airways® Premier World MasterCard® with 50,000 bonus miles after first purchase and paying $89 annual fee
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 50,000 bonus miles after your first purchase and payment of the $89 annual fee*
- First checked bag free on eligible bags for you and up to four companions on domestic US Airways operated flights
- One companion certificate good for up to 2 guests to travel with you on a US Airways operated flight at $99 each, plus taxes and fees
- Priority boarding Zone 2 on US Airways operated flightsRedeem miles for award travel on US Airways and American Airlines booked through usairways.com or US Airways Reservations
- Earn miles on every purchase with 2 miles for every $1 you spend on US Airways and American Airlines purchases and 1 mile for every $1 on purchases everywhere else
- New! Receive a 25% savings on eligible US Airways and American Airlines in-flight purchases
- Please see terms and conditions for complete details
Application Link: The US Airways® Premier World MasterCard®