The Blue Business Plus Credit Card from American Express’ appeal comes from its simple and impressive earning power. For no annual fee whatsoever, on the first $50,000 in purchases per calendar year (January 1 – December 31), it earns 2 Membership Rewards on ALL purchases. That is fantastically rewarding for a card so simple.
And while it’s not the primary reason to open this card, the 10k Membership Rewards sign-up bonus the Blue Business Plus currently comes with is a reason to get the card now if you are already interested as that bonus will disappear after today.
Who Should Open a Blue Business Plus Card
In a nutshell, if you can open a business credit card and have a lot of expenses that don’t fall in more lucrative bonus spending categories, then you should consider opening a Blue Business Plus Credit Card from American Express.
- Sign-up bonus: 10,000 Membership Rewards for spending $3,000 on your new card within three months of account opening
- Earn 2X Membership Rewards on all purchases, capped at $50,000 annually (January 1 – December 31), and 1 Membership Reward per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Value of Membership Rewards earned: Points can be transferred to 17 airline miles and 3 hotel points or used like cash toward the purchase of any flight at a rate of 1 cent per point. I value Membership Rewards around 2 cents each when transferred to airline programs, so I would not use them like cash toward the purchase of a flight.
- Global Acceptance: Chip technology
- Foreign transaction fees: 2.7%, so don’t use while traveling or to make purchases from foreign companies
- No Annual Fee
- Eligibility: American Express once in a lifetime bonus rule
Examples of Business Cards with Lucrative Category Bonuses
The cards below offer category bonuses with a better return on spending (in those specific categories) than the Blue Business Plus does. If you don’t spend in any of the categories listed below, then the Blue Business Plus is a solid option for your business as you otherwise wouldn’t be getting a better return.
Chase Ink Business Preferred
The Ink Business Preferred earns 3 Ultimate Rewards per dollar spent on travel, shipping purchases, internet, cable and phone services, and on advertising purchases made with social media sites and search engines.
Chase Ink Business Cash
If you also have a Sapphire Preferred, Sapphire Reserve, or Ink Business Preferred, then you’ll earn 5 Ultimate Rewards per dollar on the first $25,000 spent in combined purchases at office supply stores and on internet, cable and phone services each cardmember year. Otherwise you’ll earn 5% cash back which is arguably still better than 2 Membership Rewards per dollar (the earning rate of the Blue Business Plus) if you value Membership Rewards at 2 cents each.
Amex Business Platinum
The Business Platinum card earns a whopping 5 Membership Rewards per dollar spent on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
American Express Business Gold Rewards
You get to choose one of the following categories to earn 3 Membership Rewards per dollar spent:
- Airfare purchased directly from airlines
- U.S. purchases for advertising in select media
- U.S. purchases at gas stations
- U.S. purchases for shipping
- U.S. computer hardware, software, and cloud computing purchases made directly from select providers
Do I qualify for a business credit card?
You don’t need to have employees, an EIN, nor must you be profitable to qualify for a business credit card. Read more about who qualifies and how to get approved for business credit cards.
Examples of Businesses You May Not Think are Businesses
- Seller on eBay
- Seller on Amazon
- Seller on Etsy
- Seller at consignment shops
- Seller at yard sales
- Seller of baked goods
- Seller of souvenirs from your trips abroad
- Seller and collector of coins or stamps
If you’re eligible for a business credit card and have lots of spend that wouldn’t otherwise earn a higher category bonus on another card, then the Blue Business Plus Credit Card from American Express is a great option for your. For the first $50,000 you put on the card every year, you can earn 2 Membership Rewards per dollar spent. That’s a 100k Membership Rewards a year.
And the Blue Business Plus’ 10,000 Membership Reward bonus for spending $3,000 in three months ends after today (9/26/18).
Of course there are business cards with MUCH bigger sign up bonuses that you could open and earn in three months. And there business cards with specific category bonuses that earn a higher return than 2 Membership Rewards per dollar. But this card’s straightforward earning structure is an easy answer for those who don’t want to spend time organizing various cards and various minimum spending requirements. Open it, put up to $50k of your business expenses on it each year, and earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards for that $50k in spending in return. I value 100k Membership Rewards at about $2,000 when you transfer those points wisely to airline mileage programs for international and premium cabin award flights.
And if you open the Blue Business Plus by the end of the day today, you can easily earn an additional 10,000 bonus Membership Rewards to that bounty by meeting its $3k in three months minimum spend. Applications must be received by American Express by today to qualify for the 10k sign-up bonus.
Credit card links have been removed from posts and added to the menu bar at the top of every page of MileValue under the heading Top Travel Credit Cards.