You wouldn’t like Hawaii… unless you like pristine beaches, beautiful hikes, and 80 degree weather. Hawaii is my favorite place in the world. (A few of my photos are sprinkled through this post.)
If Hawaii is your favorite place, or if you’ve always wanted to take a family vacation there: one person can easily earn enough miles to book 6 economy roundtrip awards to Hawaii or nearly 4 First Class roundtrip awards.
There are two basic ideas:
- You don’t need many Singapore Airlines miles to get to Hawaii on United flights. You just need 17,500 miles each way in economy between Hawaii and the mainland or 30,000 miles in United First Class–even on the routes with flat beds.
- You can transfer any type of transferable points to Singapore miles.
You can get the Sapphire Preferred and Ink Plus from Chase, the Citi Prestige® Card, and the Mercedes-Benz Platinum from American Express, and then transfer all the points you earn to at least 216,000 Singapore miles.
The steps are:
- Open four credit cards
- Meet their minimum spending requirements
- Find award space on United flights to Hawaii
- Transfer your cards’ points to Singapore miles.
- Call Singapore to book the awards
1. Open the Cards
The four cards are three personal cards from three different banks plus a business card from one of the same banks. You an get all four on the same day as long as you can meet their combined minimum spending requirements of $15,000 in the first three months. If you can’t meet that high of a combined minimum spending requirement, stagger your sign ups.
- The Citi Prestige® Card offers 40,000 bonus ThankYou Points after spending $4,000 in the first three months. This card is also a star because of its big category bonuses and $600 in possible statement credits in the first 12 months toward flights and Global Entry. The card has a $450 annual fee that I think the benefits more than outweigh.
- The Platinum Card from American Express Exclusively for Mercedes-Benz offers 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards after spending $3,000 in the first three months. Anyone can get this card even if you don’t have a Mercedes or plan to get one. This card has a $475 annual fee that I think is outweighed by $400 in free airline gift cards and Centurion Club lounge access during the first year.
- The Sapphire Preferred offers 50,000 bonus Ultimate Rewards after spending $4,000 in the first three months and another 5,000 bonus points for adding an authorized user.
- The Ink Plus is a business card that offers 60,000 bonus Ultimate Rewards after spending $5,000 in the first three months.
Meeting the cards’ minimum spending requirements will earn a total of at least 216,000 points (probably more considering the cards various category bonuses), all of which can be transferred to Singapore Krisflyer miles. That’s enough for 6x roundtrips in economy to Hawaii (210k Singapore miles) and almost enough for 4x roundtrips in First Class (240k.)
2. Meet their minimum spending requirements
If $16,000 in three months is more than you normally spend, you can manufacture spending or stagger the applications.
Your points will post at about the same time that the statement period ends during which you met the minimum spending requirement.
While meeting your minimum spending requirements earn extra points by hitting category bonuses like 3x points for hotels and airfare on the Citi Prestige® Card.
3. Find award space on United flights to Hawaii
I’ve explained in detail steps three through five in my post about how I booked myself a Singapore Airlines award to Hawaii on United flights.
During these steps, you’ll have to decide whether you want to pay 17,500 miles each way in economy or 30,000 miles each way in United First. I’d pretty much always choose First Class for that differential, and I’d also try to find United flights on which First Class features flat beds as explained in this post.
Why United flights? Because Singapore Airlines is a member of the Star Alliance with United, so you can use its miles to book all the same Saver award space that United releases to its general members.
Can you find six award seats on the same flights? That’s not a problem at all, especially during the winter. All the yellow days below have economy award space for six from Los Angeles to Honolulu on one or more United flights.
4. Transfer your cards’ points to Singapore miles.
This can take about 36 hours, so you have to live with the small chance that award space disappears in the meantime.
5. Call Singapore to book the awards
Easy and explained here.
The total cost of the awards will be about $11 per person plus the miles.
One person can open up four credit cards and have enough miles to book six people to Hawaii roundtrip for just the miles earned from the sign up bonuses plus $66 total.
This amazing deal is possible because Singapore miles are a transfer partner of Chase, Citi, and American Express points. Any other use for which Singapore miles are valuable (like United flights to Europe, Singapore Suites, and awards to South America with a few stopovers) can also be leveraged by getting multiple credit cards from all the transferable points programs.
There’s no excuse for not taking your family to Hawaii to enjoy the sun, sand, and surf!