REMINDER: Singapore’s award prices to Europe in First Class and Africa, Asia, and Oceania in all classes are increasing in price as of December 7, 2017 (this Thursday). If you were planning on booking one of these awards, do so now to save.
Effective December 7, 2017, Singapore Airlines is devaluing its award chart for awards booked on Star Alliance partners.
I am following this development closely because:
- Singapore miles are so easy to get (transfer partner of Citi ThankYou, Chase Ultimate Rewards, Amex Membership Rewards, and SPG Starpoints)
- Singapore has a great award chart for booking Star Alliance awards that I have used frequently
The good news is that Singapore’s devaluation didn’t touch any of its best-value Star Alliance awards!
This is in contrast to its March 2017 devaluation of awards on Singapore flights, which made getting into Singapore Suites Class much pricier.
Click the links for expanded posts on those awards:
- Within Canada and Continental US + Alaska in United Economy for 12,500 miles or in United First for 20,000 miles
- From Continental US to Hawaii in United Economy for 17,500 miles or in United First for 30,000 miles
- From Continental US to South America in Economy for 30,000 miles or in Business for 50,000 miles
- From Hawaii to South America in Economy for 25,000 miles or in Business for 40,000 miles
- From Continental US to Europe in Economy for 27,500 miles
- Within South America in Economy for 12,500 miles or in Business for 20,000 miles
Those are the only Singapore awards on Star Alliance partners that interested me before the devaluation and none of them went up in price.
The reason only these awards interested me is because they are as cheap or cheaper than United awards on the same flight, they have no fuel surcharges (or can have no fuel surcharges), and I spend a lot of time in Hawaii and South America.
Flights to Europe in First Class and Africa, Asia, and Oceania in all classes went up in price. Other than awards to Middle East/North Africa, these awards already weren’t a great deal between the mileage prices and the fuel surcharges.
Awards from the Continental US to Middle East/North Africa cost 37.5k/57.5k Singapore miles one way in economy/Business if booked now and 45k/69k if booked December 7 or later. If you book exclusively United flights, you’ll pay no fuel surcharges. If you book United to Europe, connecting to a partner to the Middle East, you’ll pay manageable fuel surcharges.
Book your Singapore awards to the Middle East and North Africa now if you had one in mind, but even after December 7, the price is still quite good in Business Class.
Singapore devalued its Star Alliance award chart for awards booked December 7 or later. Luckily they left untouched all my favorite awards! Singapore miles remain an enormously valuable program for Americans. Read more about Singapore miles here: