I tweeted this deal first from @MileValueAlerts. Follow @MileValueAlerts on Twitter and follow these directions to get a text message every time I tweet from that account. I tweet from @MileValueAlerts only a few times a month because it is designed to be used only for the best and most limited-time deals–like mistake fares–so that you aren’t bombarded by text messages.
Roundtrip flights in February and March 2018 from Honolulu, Kona, and Kahului to Madrid and Barcelona, Spain are pricing from $355 to $409 roundtrip all in.
- When are the cheap fares?
- Mileage Earning
- Baggage Allowance
- Best Credit Card to Buy the Ticket
When are the cheap fares?
You’ll find these cheap fares offered directly on momondo.com for travel on United and Star Alliance partners in February and March 2018.
You earn United miles based on ticket price. If you credit these flights to United, you’ll get 5-11 miles per dollar based on your elite level. That will work out to only around 2,000 United miles if you have no status.
United offers one free checked bag up to 50 pounds on economy tickets to Europe. Plus you’ll get a free carry on and free personal item.
So does Air Canada.
Best Way to Buy the Ticket
What card you should buy this ticket with depends on your priorities.
- If you want it to be free, put it on whatever card you have travel statement credits for, like the Sapphire Reserve or Citi Prestige–or open a Barclaycard Arrival Plus. The card comes with 40,000 Arrival miles after spending $3,000 on the card in the first 90 days. Arrival miles can be redeemed for 1 cent each toward any travel expense (even travel expenses used to meet your minimum spending requirement for the bonus), so the bonus alone will more than cover this flight (and still leave you some travel statement credits).
- If you’re more concerned with travel insurance, check out our series on the travel protection benefits of popular rewards cards.
- If you’re more concerned with earning rewards (although, this probably should’t be your top priority since the ticket is quite cheap) check out the Best Credit Card to Buy Airfare.
Credit card links have been removed from posts and added to the menu bar at the top of every page of MileValue under the heading Top Travel Credit Cards.
This ridiculously low price will not last, so book now and figure everything else out later. You have 24 hours to cancel for free on united.com and often can cancel free for a limited time when booking on an OTA (look up the policy of the site where you book.)
Don’t book other non-refundable expenses for your trip to Spain, though, for at least a week in case United tries to weasel out of these tickets.